Assessment Time: Make Up Artist.

/
0 Comments
Blog post 1: Reflect on your TA performance and design. Discuss how you worked with another make-up artist design, what would you do differently, how the outcome reflect the design you were given?

It's been a rough week. I've had chronic toothache and the stress of my impending assessment has got me going all shades of crazy. I've really started to doubt everything I do and this makes me question how well I'm going to perform.

We had a practice session the night before my assessment and I felt fairly confident. I nailed the eyelashes and the winged liner, which were the two things that I thought were going to mess up her design.

When I got home, I cleaned my kit. I made sure it looked immaculate. A poorly kept kit reflects on you. So I sorted through the kit and made sure that I had everything that I needed. I double, triple and quadrupled checked the product list and stop OCDing over it and put it away for the night. I already had my clean black clothes ready and I began to try and get some shut eye.

BINGGG

Hardly any sleep and rush to get ready, I'm well on the way to my first assessment. I'm actually a little bit excited. I decided that coffee wasn't a good idea as it'll give me the shakes. I come into the class room calmly and zone out while I set up. I put my facechart up on the mirror, and my hand written notes. I'm so glad that I bothered to write some down. When I get l flustered I would probably forget something really easy and simple.

I put down the couch roll, set out all the brushes and cleanse, tone and moisturise Sophia. I take it slowly, so I don't rush and mess things up. From our practice sessions  I know that getting the base perfect is the most time consuming part, so I try my best to smash this. It's at this moment I know I need to invest in some sponges for my kit. I would think about beauty blenders but I'm not sure about the hygiene side of things.

I sail through the stages of the make up. My winged eyeliner went really well, the eyelash application went smooth. Even the heart on the lips went well.

Thinking on my feet, I used a matte white eyeshadow under the eyes because the foundation creased really badly. This worked a charm. When I finished the design Sophia seemed happy with it. So I guess that it was a good outcome.

What I've learnt from working with another make up artist:

- Communication is crucial. I felt like a lot of the time I felt like it was me that was making all the plans. I felt as though if I had left it to Sophia, we might not have met up to practice.
- It feels weird trying to showcase your skillset when you have a really simple design to do. I wish it would have been a little more complicated that would have proven a little bit more of a challenge.
- People will change their designs and not say anything about it. I noticed this with my partner. It wasn't a big deal, it just wasn't mentioned

What I'd do differently

- I'd probably organise my workstation in a better way. By the end of my session it looked Hurricane Nikki had swept through. It's so easy to get wrapped up in just picking things up and throwing them back down when you notice something that needs to be fixed immediately.

- I'd practice a white base application more. It's not easy. It's time consuming. It's important to be 100% happy with the base because as I learnt during my assessment, going back in to touch up a powdered white base is a very stupid idea as it makes it cakey. These kinda things are the incidents that make me want to pull out my hair and have a panic. Thankfully I didn't.

Here are some photos of my finished look :







You may also like

No comments :

Powered by Blogger.