Elizabeth I in Film and Television

/
0 Comments

Elizabeth I in Film and Television 

It isn't uncommon to see Tudors in television and film. It was a crucial part of our history and what better way than to educate and entertain than through the medium of film and television.

Here is a list I’ve found while trawling the internet that lists most if not all of the films/series/mini-series that have had the Tudors in. It

It really surprised me to see such an early date of ‘1923’ on the list. I wouldn’t have even thought to look at silent films for Elizabethan references. Unfortunately due to the age of this piece I haven’t been able to source out any photos or stills on the internet but I shall endeavor to find some in books.

All of the films and tv series have very different takes on the make-up and hair designs as well as the costumes.

 The more famous ones such as Elizabeth (1998) with Cate Blanchett look very tradition while keeping the actress’ beauty still prominent. In a later performance of Elizabeth, Cate Blancett reprises her role as Elizabeth. The series is set around her younger years. I feel as though the redden hair makes he look younger as it hasn’t begun to lose it’s pigmentation.


It’s down and free flowing, when she was older she kept her hair up in the tradition heart shape that was in fashion. Her skin looks flawless and there is very little indication of any fucus on her cheeks. As a younger girl her skin would have flushed more frequently.

A series that has capture my interest is on Netflix and it’s called Reign. It’s an insight into Mary Queen of Scots’ life as young Queen in France. Throughout the series there is mention of the hold that Elizabeth has over the English throne and it’s only in the third season we finally meet her.

The make-up artists and the costume designers have made the younger Queens quite contemporary. I really like the take on them. Here is a picture of how Elizabeth looks in the series

She is portrayed by Rachel Skarsten. I really thought they casted her well as she has quite a natural beauty about her. Also, I think her facial structure is well suited as she has a fairly predominant forehead but she can pull off having her hair up on top or her head or having it down.

During her private privy meetings Elizabeth always has her hair up like she was expected to, during her ‘down time’ scenes when she’s with her lover she often fashions a fishtail plait.

I really have enjoyed this tv series and I will probably look to it for inspiration where I can because I think the contemporary twist is subtle and it still shows its origin and it’s inspiration




You may also like

No comments :

Powered by Blogger.