White Base Experiment

/
0 Comments
During our practical session with Kat, we were told to pair up and apply a white base. I thought this would be easy, however it's actually really difficult. If it's applied poorly, a white base will become patchy and you can see any brush strokes that you've made.

We had 3 products to chose from.

Illamasqua Skin Base: White

Kryolan SupraColour Palette - (Grease Base)
Kryolan AquaColour Palette - ( Face Paint)


We began by applying AquaColour White and SupraColour White. We did this on by using the different whites on each half of the face. 

It became very clear that trying to apply a white facepaint with a brush wasn't an easy task. It was blotchy, and patchy. When you tried to correct a section it made it worse and it just felt like a nightmare product to work with. I think if we had had a sponge (my favourite method for applying a facepaint base) We might have had more success. I've never used Kryolan facepaint before and I'm not sure I'm a fan. I have used Snazaroo which I think is ok, but my favourite white I have used was the Grimas one. I just thought it had awesome pigmentation and didn't blotch out when you tried to correct it. I'd like to try this application again using a sponge and that way I can see if I like the product and the finish.

The AquaColour base potentially offers the option to build up the colour you need so I think it could be used in contemporary Elizabethan Make Up as well as a period themed application.

 photo 12141784_10153245669796313_6701479522502096430_n_zpsgtp0not0.jpg
An Awful Attempt At White Base With Facepaint. Gave up halfway through the application.


On the other side of the face we used the Kryolan Supracolour. Having used grease based products before I knew what to expect. The pigmentation was really rich and gave a really period themed look. It was really easy to apply and it's great to build up. The only thing is that it can crease quite quickly unless you powder it straight away. I like the look the grease gave but I think it is more suited to a Period themed make up look. It could be used in contemporary form but I think the look of it is quite striking and may take away from the rest of the elements in the image (ie Hair, costume,) I think it may suit some designers like McQueen, Westwood and Gautier as they are slightly Avant-Garde with their creations.





 photo 12122447_10153245669856313_5145975091529178600_n_zpsmqp4bf5u.jpg
Kyrolan SupraColour.

We cleaned our model's face and applied the Illamasqua Skin Base: White. This is my favourite. On a personal note it's nice to see a shade paler than me, the formula is phenomenal. It applied like a dream and it 'pales down' the model as opposed to making them look periodic. It's like a subtle nod to Elizabethan white foundation. If you wanted to do a shoot that had inspiration to the Elizabethan look with a modern twist this would be the product to use. I think it's great and I'm really thinking about using it in my final design. I love how you can build the colour up and it doesn't become blotchy, it's a really diverse product.

 photo 12140653_10153245669921313_2299122352129646818_n_zpssnw8dcro.jpg
Illasmasqua Skin Base: White

While using the AquaColour instead of using water as the the activation medium I used the Skin Base: White. I was really happy with the outcome of this. I felt as though it gave a better coverage.

 photo 12105784_10153245670021313_8504758172130453888_n_zpsa0tgzlcn.jpg
Illamasqua and Aquacolour Mix


Reflection:


Overall, I'm happy that I tried all of the products available to me, it really helped me when it came to thinking about my final design. I think by changing some of the tools I use, I might be able to get better results. Each product offers something different and it's handy to know what when planning designs.

The Illamasqua White Base is most definitely my favourite.


You may also like

No comments :

Powered by Blogger.